Welcome to the world of Rapid, Unpredictable, Chaotic, Inconsistent, Oxymoronic, and Badly-Tangled, Volatile, Complex, Hazy-Picture, Continuously-Changing, Overwhelming & Unstable Atmosphere [you are welcome to add words that I might have missed in this series].
Today's Leaders as well as the most common man need to learn the skills to cope with Chaos, Complexities, Uncertainties, ambiguous, confusing-catch-22 and volatile situations.
These are the most-immutable must-have 70+ skills*.
If you don't understand, learn, master and practice them – then you will either have a very stressful or a very mediocre life or both.
This may sound dooms-day predictions and very scary – but fortunately – polishing these competencies, can take you to the top also and make your life more joyous and fulfilling.
Many of us are afraid of the fear* of unknown – it is because our brains looks for certainties, securities, problems those solve themselves or problems* to be solved once for all[this is due to our conditioning through the most damning concept of – living happily* ever-after].
Our brain always tries to find a pattern to predict to create a permanently secured future and life – WHICH IS Just Not THERE FOR ANYONE.
Throughout our life we will be rocked, shocked and caught off-guard by constant change – THERE IS NO MENTAL, Physical AND EMOTIONAL SECURITY WHICH WOULD LAST LIFE-TIME.
Chaos and uncertainty and volatility and ambiguity is the NORM.
If we are unable to accept these – we would be chasing mirage forever – which many of us do – they spend their lifetime searching for perfect end, perfect partner, perfect job, perfect solutions, perfect answers etc etc.
Sometimes it can be real OMG, WTF, WTH and WhyMe situations – but IT IS ALSO A BIG OPPORTUNITY FOR ALL OF US.
The biggest danger is off-course are not being prepared and ignoring the warning sirens and signals.
Having failed* miserably in many-many situations and with many people and even in those circumstances that I should never have failed – I know that in spite of exhaustive plans – the Murphy's laws is the only thing that you can bank upon.
When Even the best laid-plans fail miserably – so what preparations we are talking about.
Let us first understand few of the drivers of this unpredictable and disruptive times - they could be
- 2.Increase in religious polarization
- 3.US-China power-war & UK-Europe Brexit & China's Aim on Dominating the World
- 4.The technology which changes every yesterday – AI, Blockchain, Big-Data, Nano-Technology, Robotics etc
- 5.The weak political and OTHER types of LEADERS
- 6.The climate-change due to human interference
- 7.Education systems not attune to the Practical-world
- 9.The stock-market interdependence on all of the above and more factors
- 10.Too much information generation and availability
- 11.Impact of social media on Market, Selling, Customers, Sellers and Buyers
- 12.Rapid Urbanization
- 13. Millennials becoming the majority in the workforce
- 14.Accelerated Innovation
To be able to handle this type of life – you need to tone your muscles in the following areas [so that if unexpected happens, in spite of our giving 100%, being prepared for all the exigencies]
- 1.Able to withstand the shock more effectively
- 2.Able to bounce-back* faster efficiently from our failures* and setbacks
- 3.Developing mental-toughness
- 4.Toning our emotional-resilience*
- 5.Becoming better problem-solver*
- 6.Looking for and embracing change* pro-actively by Becoming flexible* and adoptable* to rapid deviations and fluctuations
- 7.Recognizing the self-improvement and self-development and self-growth lessons this change gives us AND applying them
- 8.Learning to see the Financial, Professional, Relationship Future-Opportunities* this provides
- 9.Able to see the same situation from widely different and paradoxical perspectives*
- 10.Enjoying the journey* that our life is – irrespective of what level of misery you have been subjected to
- 11.Able to identify more choices*, possibilities, options and different solutions - than identifiable through conventional thinking
- 12.Able to relate the Chaos theory – that says – even a minor change can create major impact in the outcome
- 13.Making learning* your everyday nature just like breathing
- 14.Giving your 100%* and knowing when to give-up*
- 15.Handling your stress* better
So What We Can Do – all the * marked ones are those I have written blogs giving DIY tips in my success unlimited mantra blogs.
- 1.Challenging our assumptions*
- 2. Reframing our beliefs and Thinking*
- 3.Nurturing and Practicing Learning Agility - The ability and willingness to learn from experience and subsequently apply that learning to perform successfully under new and challenging conditions
- 4.Developing Leadership Across ranks and files
- 5.Leveraging Polarities Inherent in Complex Challenges - Leaders need to take their thinking to a new level by recognizing seemingly unsolvable challenges not as problems to be solved but as polarities to be leveraged — shifting their mindset, thinking, and decision-making from either/or to both/and
- 6.Assess the current impact and possible influence in future on
- III.Economic & Financial
- 7.Develop Existing Leaders to Be Agile Leaders.
- 8.Defining organization of the future culture and linking it to desired results
- I.Learning agility is all and more of the following
Flexibility – to change, stop-doing, alter-frequency, give up
- II.Grasping new ideas fast
- III.Experimenting – trying newer ideas till you find the best fit
- IV.Taking Risk*
- V.Getting Mentor* and Asking others for help, feedback, suggestions
- VI.Leveraging the skills of the team by practicing Situational Leadership*
- VII.Becoming Great Observer* to be aware of the world, the environment
- VIII.Asking meaningful questions*
- IX.Introspection* and Reflecting
- X.Living the change you want to create by Becoming a change agent
- XI.Becoming a culture agile person
- XII.Becoming a talent magnet by leading by example*
- XIII.Being Yourself - totally authenticity
- XIV.Moving from Best Practices to The Bestest-This-Moment-Thinking because the Best practice was yesterday
- XV.Getting in touch with the Market and the emerging trends in your field as well as in totally non-related field
- XVI.Developing Ability to turn frustrations, crises* and dilemmas into advantages and opportunities*
- XVII.Developing Ability to engage with and nurture purposeful business or social change networks through intelligent use of electronic or other media
- 9.Collaborative co-creating
- 10.Get There Early – initiating changes before you are forced to
- 11.Creating Physical and Mental Discipline
- 12.Creating and practicing sharp focus*
- 13.Listening* and Empathy*
- 14.Creating Humble Strength within yourself
- 15.Practicing Strong ethics and value* based leadership*
- 16.Be tough-minded yet tender-hearted – practice being sift yet firm
- 17.Being demanding yet fair
- 18.Sharpen your Decision-making
- 19.Be respectable and not likable*
- 20.Master Communication And 'Soft Skills'
- 21.Learn to grow From empathy to emotional intelligence*
- 22.Be poised and thoroughly professional*
- 23.Going From being ambitious to visionary
- 24.Create your very own Big-picture vision
- 25.Practice using System thinking Design thinking, Lateral thinking, creative thinking[all are almost same] in your everyday decision making and action taking and thinking
- 26.Understand the power of interdependence
- 27.Be up to date in your Understanding of Technology
- 28.Leverage technology to ease your task as well as to make life more convenient for all your stake-holders
- 29.Create the right style to manage a human-robot workplace interface
- 30.Develop your people as leaders
- 31.Use Diversity and Inclusion to your best advantage
- 32.Involve the team or the world in problem solving – don't try to be a martyr
- 33.Be a real life hero*
- 34.Develop your Human intelligence quotient by increasing your ability to understand human behavior
- 35.Know when to persevere * and when to PIVOT
- 36.Start enjoying Experimenting in face of UNCERTAINTY
- 37.If made mistake – accept and move on – no excuse, no justification
- 38.Challenge yourself and all your assumptions
- 39.Ask experts to clarify their logic and press on till you can understand as layman – their logic. If not convinced take second or third opinion
- 40.Be ready to dump any process if it creates more effectiveness
- 41.DRAW OUTLINES IN AN AMBIGUOUS WORLD
- 42.Be Transparent
- 43.Be accountable
- 44.Take responsibility for all your decisions and actions
World Economic Forum listed Top 10 skills needed in 2020—all of which are soft skills and people skills:
- 1.Complex Problem Solving
- 2.Critical Thinking
- 4.People Management
- 5.Coordinating with Others
- 6.Emotional Intelligence
- 7.Judgment and Decision Making
- 8.Service Orientation
- 10.Cognitive Flexibility