Today irrespective of their genre - Almost all the businesses [ be it manufacturing, trading, service or concepts] are susceptible to ultra-fast changes in the technologies and the markets– which can make them obsolete overnight.
18 competencies needed for the Disruptive Leadership and 27 ways on How to Leap into Disruptive-uncertainty with confidence,
Recently Google announced - that they have developed a new 54-qubit processor, named Sycamore- which computed in 200 seconds -that may take the world's existing-fastest supercomputer 10,000 years to produce a similar output.
Does this sound like disruption – well if this speed works for everything else – it would actually be a straight leap from the Ice-age to the Space-age.
There would be breakthroughs, possibilities and solutions – that we might never have even read the fictions.
In the last two decades we have seen – massive changes – which changed the way we Live, we Eat, we Buy, we Sell, we Communicate, We Get-Married [find soul-mates], We Make-love, the Products we use, how we Compete in the world to survive and Use the newer ways to protect us from various threats etc. etc.
Many of the world's iconic products and globally-most-admired organizations no longer exists AND few cutting-age [considered at that time] products just vanished – you can find numerous examples.
As a business leader if you don't get into leading your organization and your people to proactively invent, reinvent and adopt changes [the processes, the products, your value-offerings, the technologies, the skills] - faster than the world, You won't survive for long.
Disruptive changes may seem – scary and too huge and maybe make us feel inadequate – as how would we could initiate or manage or sustain.
That is why This article is about how the meaningful-disruptions with long-term sustainable and horizon-transforming changes can be brought about through - disciplined, consistent, focused actions.
All the while we would be operating completely from within our area of control and influences.
We will just have to accept that the Disruptive innovations are no longer the rare exception – it has just become the every- day survival and growth imperative.
Almost all the industries and businesses through the last decade experienced dramatic changes in business models, distribution channels, government regulations, and market expectations.
As leaders, if we're not proactively creating disruption, we'll eventually need to respond to it – which in turn is MeToo reaction with very minimal chances of sustainable future of existence of your venture.
Volatility, Ambiguity, Uncertainty and Complexities have become the rules – as a leader you have to develop the mindset of enjoying these and maybe even look forward to them.
But the biggest hypocrisy that exists within our Business and others leaders that – even though they talk about creating a disruptive and learning organization – IN PRACTICE – they promote and reward the virtues of predictability which is the exact opposite of what characterizes the basics of disruption.
All the organizations and business those are considered disruptive and successful – operate on the principal of New problems demand new competencies and skills.
In other words – there are no simple way create a future successful organization based on the management-theories taught at the business-school s today.
The development, strengthening and building of human capabilities tuned to the future-skills* along with the essential organizational capabilities—resilience, innovation and employee engagement – are the minimum mandatory prerequisite.
We also need to understand that none of the disruptive businesses can be created as a formal, repeatable process.
In our current economic, political and mad-leadership world of turbulent environment - leading disruptive innovation more about best principles than best practices.
Few business schools, let alone organizations - prepare their leaders to live with and harness uncertainty, ambiguity, and even surprises to reinvent their organizations and industries.
18 competencies needed for the Disruptive Leadership
- 1.Disruptive innovation and change foremost needs disrupting our own assumptions about what is real leadership.
- 2.A mindset of defying gravity of the existing norms, beliefs [of what is possible and what is not]
- 3.Having an approach to be a Game-changer*
- 4.Courage of doing something radically new – which could be treated by others as even ridiculous
- 5.Pushing the boundaries and reinventing the solutions, processes, models - within seemingly impossible challenges
- 6.Ability to harness the amazing abilities if the Millennials as well as the Gen Z
- 7.Surrounding themselves with people – who challenge as well as come out with different possibilities
- 8.Ability to pivot – fast, by not clinging to what was their baby
- 9.Having a team with competent and diverse team members with diverse perspectives
- 10.Ability to spot a trend in businesses and industries – Unrelatedly different that theirs AND finding ways to incorporate those in their business
- 11.Ability to look from both Outside-in as well as inside-out angles with multiple stakeholder's perspectives
- 12.Ability to create plan and implement – new action-plans based on little or ambiguous information by polishing and integrating with their intuition and gut-feelings. Because In times of disruption, however, robust data that gives clear directions rarely present
- 13.Ability to ignore the massive data and Ability to sift and focus on the most crucial and critical information
- 14.Going for a culture of creating a Learning organization by going for Culture of Adaptive Strategic Planning – where you celebrate successes and view set-backs as learning opportunities versus failures - Because when the outcomes are negative, anything that helps validate or refine assumptions is a progress
- 15.Not going for massive organization shaking Big-changes – but rather implementing actions to accomplish smaller mile-stones
- 16.Creating Success metrics focusing on learning and validating assumptions
- 17.The mindset of welcome and enjoying the Surprise – both negative as well as positives. Because Leading disruptive innovation with the shock and surprises of unexpected technological developments, competitive moves, customer comments, economic and political shifts, and other unforeseen events
- 18.You must be willing to be misunderstood for long periods of time – as whenever you do something that is both big and disruptive -there will be critics
27 ways on How to Leap into Disruptive-uncertainty with confidence
- 1.Start with yourself as the client and the end-user of the business, service, product concept you would like to disrupt
- 2.Verify and re-verify that – there are a significant mass of people – who are using something in this field
- 3.Go into big long conscious day-dream – of what is not there – BUT if it was – would make you most satisfied
- 4.This process you need to do in disciplined* manner over a period of time – sleeping over TILL it becomes so thrilling that these ideas drive you crazy till you have tested and implemented
- 5.Try go against the conventional and popular concepts, principals and disruption
- 6.Use your instincts – to find opportunities* - where probably none exists today
- 7.Asking the consumer would be fruitless and time-wasting and expensive too - since consumers may not know what they were missing [none of us missed mobile-phones when they were not there]
- 8.Understand that most Disruptive innovations come from people who take a leap of faith to innovate for themselves – especially because they want to make a difference for others
- 9.Also understand that Disruption is as much opportunity as much as risk and failures
- 10.Test, Test Test – with the ultimate beneficiaries and solicit their inputs
- 11.Crowdsource the user experience
- 12.Be an action* person Act, Improvise*, Innovate*, Improve*, Implement* – by taking small simple steps, again and again and again
- 13.Focus on newer ways of great user experience UX*– while using this product and concept yourself also
- 14.Persist – Take the surprise out of failure - While no one wants to associate with major failures - setbacks are a natural part of the leading disruptive innovation in your business
- 15.Empower your people to experiment* and take actions assertively*
- 16.Many times on the way to YOUR BIG PICTURE – smaller changes may present as opportunities in totally different field – just Seize it
- 17.Disruptive innovation requires Disrupting Leadership to navigate disruption – this can only happen through discovering and uncovering your deeper motivations to drive meaningful opportunities for others
- 18.Always get into the habits of pushing yourself to challenge your assumptions and beliefs
- 19.Disruption starts at the top - The chief stake holder must allow the disruptions by personally modeling disruptive values
- 20. Create double strategy – to deal with disruptive changes taking place in your business AS WELL AS being a disruptor yourself
- 21.Attract, retain and empower the talent capable of both operating the existing business model and disrupting it
- 22. Set up a separate entity solely focused on these disruption – separate from the existing, running and profitable one
- 23. Don't bother about big-bang breakthroughs - Move ahead with all the progress and find the market this
- 24. Understand that the Innovation doesn't always have to be disruptive AND True disruption is a bit of a gamble- because Even a good idea - no guarantee exists that a new technology will take hold
- 25. Disruption takes time
- 26. Some inventions require multiple phases of evolution before they reach their final form
- 27.And sometimes going for innovations for one purpose may take you to the totally new disruptive profitable areas
Few Current Disruptions – In Pipeline as well as Operating
- 1.3D Printing – Imagine What would happen if we could create anything including cars simply by printing – difficult to imagine – but it is already happening in smaller ways
- 2.Advanced Virtual Reality
- 3.Uses of Drone in many areas including life-saving areas
- 4.Augmented Reality – which has the potential of disrupting mobile phones and in-car navigation systems – for a start
- 5.Blockchain Technology
- 6.Nano technology
- 8.May be Cryptocurrency
- 9.Collaborative commerce like Airbnb could be a future disruptive model for retail and e-commerce
- 10.Li-Fi - 100X Faster Than Wi-Fi - could change how we connect and communicate
- 11.AGILE - THE WORLD'S MOST POPULAR DISRUPTIVE INNOVATION ENGINE
- 12.You can google and name many more