In this article we will cover
- -17 Signs which should shake you up into remedial action and seeking help – to overcome your anxiety, overthinking and worrying unnecessarily
- -9 dangerous impact of overthinking
- -9 Mental health conditions causing overthinking and anxiety
- -60 ways on How to stop overthinking
Overthinking is recognized as life-interrupting and debilitating habit which can create performance and functioning issues in all walks of your life.
People with chronic overthinking also have large doses of anxiety and other psychological, emotional and mental issues– which keeps getting worse – if not dealt with effectively and at the earliest.
Overthinking makes us mentally, emotionally and physically exhausted and distressed.
Let us learn how we can slowly reduce this life-harming habit on sustainable basis – and start living a life fully charged.
All of us overthink time to time.
When you wonder or worry about yourself, your life, your family, your friends, or anything else - you don't have an overthinking issue.
Because whatever is causing you sleepless nights - worries you for a while - and then you move on to something else or start taking actions to address the issues.
That is normal.
But when you are always in hopeless, sad, angry and depressed moods or in any such negative un-resourceful state for long stretches of time on regular basis – then you have to take action before it will become a very complicated and complex problem difficult to solve.
17 Signs which should shake you up into remedial action and seeking help – to overcome your anxiety, overthinking and worrying unnecessarily
- 1.You have difficulty in having good time – socially as well as your loved ones
- 2.You have difficulty in making meaningful contributions in discussions or meetings
- 3.You compare yourself with other people's good and your bad luck
- 4.You are always conscious – what you say and do – whether it will measure up to their expectations
- 5.You are always focusing on the worst-case scenarios affecting you and your loved ones
- 6.You keep reflecting what someone said – long after they said it
- 7.You keep feeling embarrassed about something silly that you did long time back
- 8.You keep telling yourself – if only i had done that
- 9.You keep belittling yourself for your past failures and mistakes
- 10.You are worrying about a future assignment so much that you fail to take actions on time
- 11.You keep reliving a past traumatic experience – years after that has happened
- 12.You are unable to move on to solution stage to deal with your problems, troubles, worries
- 13.When you are obsessing over what you should have said or done
- 14.Performance anxiety, or worrying about how you measure up to others at work
- 15.You spend a lot of time thinking about the hidden meaning in things people said to you or within your hearing range
- 16.You rehash conversations you had with people in your mind and think about all the things you wish you had done or had not said.
- 17.You spend a lot of time worrying about things you have no control over
9 dangerous impact of overthinking
- 1.Overthinking always takes a serious toll on your well-being, causes serious emotional distress and increases your risk of emotional-physical-mental-health problems.
- 2.Many over thinkers resort to unhealthy coping strategies- substance abuse, overeating, unhealthy eating etc.
- 3.Overthinking may cause insomnia – and that becomes a vicious cycle – very difficult to get rid of
- 4.You are unable to take decisions
- 5.Overthinking causes you so much anxiety that you develop physical symptoms like pain, heartburn, hyperacidity, hypertension etc. Etc.
- 6.Sometimes it can cause bipolar disorder – the reverse is always true – meaning the people will bipolar disorder overthink
- 7.Another part of overthinking is when you feel you have something medically wrong with you – especially after you have searched for symptoms on google – so you go to the specialists and super-specialists – after spending a lot – you may discover that nothing is wrong and it's just a problem with overthinking - mixed in with a bit of generalized anxiety disorder.
- 8.Will create depressed state by triggering the feelings of loneliness and isolation
- 9.Influence your problem-solving ability and dealing with stressful situations
60 ways on How to stop overthinking
- 1.The first key to be aware - Notice when you are unable to come out of a negative spiral of thoughts that makes you feel sad, anxious, depressed, melancholic and emotionally-mentally-physically fatigued and drained
- 2.Don't try to ignore, fight, suppress or control your feelings - simply observe them as an outsider - without reacting or judging
- 3.Acknowledge that you are feeling these emotions
- 4.Identify the trigger or root-cause of what is causing you to overthink so much
- 5.The challenge and question your thinking – is it really – end of the world situation OR you have magnified it by going into an overthinking and over-analysis mode
- 6.Ask yourself – what are the things those are within your control AND what actions you can take
- 7.If it is out of your control – but – with other's help it can be solved – then seek help
- 8.If it is completely out of your capabilities, resources and level AND If nothing can be done – do nothing – move on to other things which would require your complete attention as well as these are productive activities
- 9.Keep the focus on active problem-solving
- 10.Instead of wallowing-in - on your problems look for multiple solutions
- 11.Don't feel bad by asking yourself why me - instead ask yourself what you can do about it
- 12.Schedule time for thinking through problems – with only focus – to find the solution for the current predicament as well how to avoid the same or handle it more effectively in future
- 13.Identify what is the best outcome – you desire
- 14.Commit yourself in taking actions those will take you closer to your goals
- 15.Busying yourself with meaningful activities is the best way to change the thought pattern
- 16.Exercise vigorously
- 17.If you are one of those who keep obsessing and worrying about things that are out of their control – seek help as there is a cure – A common treatment for this type of anxiety is cognitive behavior therapy (CBT)
- 18. CBT helps people challenge their negative or irrational thinking and change these into productive and positive ones
- 19.Create a very dependable social network for yourself - Mentally strong people have few emotionally mature and objective-thinking people in their close circle
- 20.Learn to manage your stress effectively and avoid and reduce your negative stress and draining stressors
- 21.Understand that too much negative stress can make your problems worse
- 22.Learn and practice cognitive behavioral therapy yourself – one way to start is
- 23.Write down your problems
- 24.Then create a sequence from more urgent and important to least
- 25.Then choose the most imperative one
- 26.Break it into small goals of outcomes
- 27.Explore how you can solve each small part
- 28.You need only to focus – on actions – which fully within your area of influence
- 29.The busy yourself with taking these actions
- 30.Learning and taking help from people who have deep insights ay help
- 31.Create some celebration ritual for each small milestone
- 32.Think of your everyday fears and anxieties
- 33.Take break in-between only to recharge yourself – not to procrastinate
- 34.Come back to actions as soon as you have relaxed
- 35.Being too sensitive about what other people will think may lead to overthinking – this comes from your deep insecurities – which drives Lack of confidence and low self-esteem, perfectionism etc. etc.
- 36.Avoid taking too much responsibilities – many times this habit can make us overwhelmed
- 37.Trying to solve problems - with no possible solutions YET – may also trigger overthinking
- 38.Comparing your achievement with that of others may also lead to overthinking
- 39.Accept your imperfections – work on your self-worth, self-love, self-acceptance, self-esteem, self-confidence BY learning how to move from emotionally insecure to emotionally mature
- 40.Engage in meditation – but you have to first identify – which meditation suits your psych and personality – there is no such thing even in meditation – as one size fit all
- 41.Identify and make a list things which are REAL BLESSINGS – but somehow you are unable to see them that way
- 42.Identify and understand your triggers – which starts you on overthinking and what makes you worried
- 43.Practice self-reflection - self-reflection means practicing – focused objective thinking to face THE REAL YOU
- 44.You have to learn to let go of your focus on the results – instead focus on only taking actions – which are within your control
- 45.Change your environment - go to a coffee shop, park or library
- 46.Surround yourself with different people and talk about new things
- 47.Identify when overthinking creates problems for you that don't exist
- 48. Do something nice and meaningful for others
49.Understand the following damaging thought patterns of yours
- I.All-or-nothing thinking - looking at things in black-or-white categories – things have to be only this way
- II.Overgeneralization – taking one single negative experience as permanent
- III.Focusing only on the say 0.5% negatives while erasing the 99.5% positives.
- IV.Noticing only those things that went wrong – forgetting the big things which went right
- V.Coming out with dumb reason – why the wonderful accomplishment of yours is not worth anything
- VI.Act like a mind reader to create negative prophecies
- VII.Expecting only the worst-case scenario to happen
- VIII.Believing that the way you feel is the real truth and reality
- IX.Holding yourself to a strict list of what you should and shouldn't do and beating yourself up if you break any of the rules
- X.Labeling yourself based on mistakes and perceived shortcomings
- XI.Assuming responsibility for things that are outside your control
- 50.Learn to Distinguish between solvable and unsolvable worries
- 51.Practice progressive muscle relaxation and try deep breathing
- 52.Know who to avoid when you are feeling anxious
- 53.Don't let small and insignificant trivia – create your life hell
- 54.Get your hands dirty – do something with your hands
- 55.Solve another person's problem to get new and different perspective
- 56.Remember that a perfect decision is never a bold one - so get started.
- 57.Go for single-tasking instead of multi-tasking and take regular breaks.
- 58.Don't try to force yourself to go to sleep - If you don't feel sleepy then don't get into bed and try to force yourself to go to sleep
- 59.Think about other options
- 60.Realize no one can predict the future – we can only take actions today
9 Mental health conditions causing overthinking and anxiety
- 3.Bipolar disorder
- 4.Panic disorders
- 5.Obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD)
- 6.Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- 7.Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD)
- 8.Amphetamine addiction
- 9.Hyperthyroidism (overactive thyroid gland)
#OvercomingOverthinkingAndAnxiety, #HowToStopWorrying, #OverthinkingAndWorryingUnnecessarily, #DangerousImpactsOfOverthinking, #waysToStopOverthinking, #OverthinkingIsLifeInterruptingAndDebilitatingHabit, #CreatesPerformanceAndFunctioningIssues, #ChronicOverthinkingComesWithLargeAnxiety, #MakesUsMentallyEmotionallyPhysicallyExhausted, #ReduceLifeHarmingHabit, #CausingYouSleeplessNights, #BeingInHopelessSadAngrAndDepressedMoods, #HaveDifficultyInHavingGoodTime, #HaveDifficultyInMakingMeaningfulContributions, #AlwaysCompareYourselfWithOthers, #AreAlwaysConsciousAboutWhatOthersThink, #AlwaysFocusingOnWorstCaseScenarios, #KeepBeratingAndBelittlingYourself, #KeepRelivingPastTraumaticExperiences, #UnableDealWithYourProblemsAndTroubles, #AreObsessingOver, #HavePerformanceAnxiety, #SpendTimeThinkingHiddenMeanings, #TakesSeriousTollOnYourWellBeing, #CausesSeriousEmotionalDistress, #ResortToUnhealthyCopingStrategies, #CreateDepression, #TriggeringFeelingsOfLoneliness, #AffectYourProblemSolvingAbility, #YourAbilityToDealWithStressfulSituations, #CognitiveBehaviorTherapy, #CBT, #SolveAnotherPerson'sProblem, #GetNewAndDifferentPerspective, #GoForSingleTaskingAvoidMultiTasking, #Don'tForceYourself ToSleepIfNotSleepy, ThinkAboutOtherOptions, #NoOnecanpredictfuture, #MentalHealthConditionsCausingOverthinkingAndAnxiety